Pre-Prosthetic Surgery Platelet Rich Plasma/Stem Cells
Supporting clients as they adapt to life with a prosthetic includes practical support for pre-prosthetic surgery. At Teter Orthotics & Prosthetics, we are now offering education about Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Stem Cells services.
In recent years, technology has allowed for much less blood to be drawn to harvest platelets, the body’s incredible by-product of blood that accelerates healing. This means what was once done only in a hospital can now be done for outpatients who would like to use their own PRP to encourage healing from pre-prosthetic surgery.
What does PRP mean for those facing pre-prosthetic surgery?
Platelets perform certain functions that make PRP extremely beneficial treatment for anyone undergoing pre-prosthetic surgery. This is because:
● Platelets are part of the body’s natural healing process
● Studies show using PRP accelerates healing since platelets help the body repair by generating new tissue
● The more platelet-produced growth factors released into the area requiring surgery, in theory, the more efficiently the body will heal
● Studies indicate that PRP induces the formation of new bone as well as tissue, encouraging healing of amputation sites as well as the skin
The benefits of PRP are important for any surgeries that require bone grafting or any sort of augmentation or repair. We are pleased to offer this service in-house as part of our specialized care for orthotics and prosthetics clients.
There are several important considerations and advantages to PRP for anyone facing pre-prosthetic surgery, including:
● No risk of disease or contamination since the PRP is a by-product of the patient’s own blood
● Collecting PRP is now a convenient outpatient procedure
● Using PRP to super-saturate the surgical area promotes healing naturally
● This outpatient procedure is fast, affordable, and effective
Anyone with a hematologic disease or a bleeding disorder would not qualify for PRP.
We recommend you consult with us and your surgeon about whether using PRP is the right choice for your pre-prosthetic surgery. Contact our friendly, knowledgeable staff at Teter Orthotics & Prosthetics. We are proud to offer more than 20 locations in Northern Michigan and we accept a wide variety of health insurance plans. If needed, we can work out an extended payment plan to cover care.