Grand Rapids Orthotic’s Specialist’s Orthotics Care Tips
Dos & Don’ts for Orthotic Care
Your Grand Rapids orthotics specialists share tips for how to get your orthotics to last.
- DO ask your Certified Orthotist for advice regarding special care instructions for your orthotics. Different materials are used to make custom orthotics and care instructions will vary according to what is used. At Teter Orthotics & Prosthetics our Grand Rapids orthotics specialists share care tips with each patient when they receive their orthotic.
- DON’T throw away or lose these specific care instructions. We recommend you keep them somewhere practical and convenient.
- DO keep your orthotics clean, following the care guidelines outlined by your Certified Orthotist. If you are uncertain, we recommend cleaning Grand Rapids orthotics with nothing more than a damp, clean cloth because any sort of soap or cleaning chemical will degrade the materials.
- DON’T try to clean orthotics in a washing machine or in a moment of creative inspiration a dishwasher. Trust us, this will end badly for the orthotics.
- DO give your orthotics a chance to air dry regularly. If your feet perspire a lot you might want to even make removing your orthotics from your shoes to air-dry part of your nightly routine.
- DON’T leave wet orthotics in your shoes. If you get wet for some reason – caught in the rain, jumping in puddles or otherwise encountering a good quantity of water – it is important that you let your orthotics dry thoroughly before you use them.
- DO take your orthotics with you when you go shopping for shoes so you know for certain your orthotics will fit the shoes you want to buy. Your Grand Rapids orthotics specialists can tell you if you could get different shapes of orthotics for different footwear.
- DON’T leave your orthotics where your pets could get them (especially dogs because they seem to really love to chew anything in prolonged contact with salty, sweaty feet). Our Grand Rapids orthotics specialists have seen more than one, dog chewed orthotic in need of replacement.
- DO visit your Grand Rapids orthotics specialists at Teter Orthotics & Prosthetics if you have any changes in your body that might affect how your orthotics are working. For example, if you are pregnant, injured in some way, or if you diet and lose a lot or weight or experience significant weight gain, you may need new custom foot orthotics.
- DON’T expose your Grand Rapids orthotics to freezing temperatures. Any extremes in temperature can be hard on orthotics, but frigid temperatures can actually crack some types of foot orthotics.
Do you have other questions about foot orthotics? Contact the experienced Grand Rapids orthotics Certified Orthotists at Teter Orthotics & Prosthetics. We have provided Grand Rapids orthotics for 45 years and offer more than 20 locations in Northern Michigan.